Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating Peak Load of an Assembly?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
langmuirsystems
298 Views, 1 Reply

Simulating Peak Load of an Assembly?

Hi all,

I'd like to use FEA as a way to predict the maximum a structural assembly can take before failure. In our lab, we build setups that involve steel beams, connectors, and bolts. We apply a download to an area of the assembly, and we monitor load vs. crosshead displacement. Eventually, the assembly will reach some peak load and buckle and begin to lose load. Is there a way that I can use FEA to predict this peak load? For example, if we test an assembly and the peak load is 50 kips, I'd like to build this model in CAD and test in FEA to determine the theoretical 'peak load'.

I'm currently running Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2014 through the non-linear MES solver. 

Any tricks or ideas to determine this?

Thanks,
M

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi M,

You need to decide what constitutes "failure", and then monitor the results to see when that occurs. Hypothetically, the software will run the calculations to levels of stress and displacement that are physically impossible.

Based on your previous posts, I assume that the structure does exceed the yield limit. In this case, MES is your only solution option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report