Simulation Mechanical and Multiphysics

Contributor
sbhardwaj.amu
Accepted Solution

Simulating a Screw joint

346 Views, 6 Replies
10-12-2013 08:10 PM

Hi everyone,

How can we simulate screw joint in autodesk mechanical... In 'CAD additions > generate bolt connection'  there is an option for bolted connection without nut and grounded bolt, can we use this? And the two parts joint by screw connection have to be surface contact or bonded. Also, do we have to set any contact beween the screw and parts to be joint?

Thanks

Siddharth

Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
AstroJohnPE

Re: Simulating a Screw joint

10-14-2013 07:00 AM in reply to: sbhardwaj.amu

Hi Siddharth,

A screw would be simulated as a "bolt without a nut". (Now that I think of it, the wizard/dialog should be called a "fastener" instead of a "bolt", and "tight fit" should be "threaded".) In the section where you specify which surface numbers are the interior surface of the hole, you would click the "tight fit" checkbox next to the surfaces where the threads are located. This ties the bolt shank to each node on the surface, as if the bolt/screw threads are threaded into the surface. Please see the page "Bolts and other fasteners" in the online Help.

As for the type of contact between the parts, you set that based on how the parts interact in the real situation, or what ever type of contact is acceptable for the simulation. The contact between the parts is not affected by the bolt. And since you cannot define surface contact between a line element that is used for the bolt and the solid part, you cannot set that to be surface contact. :-) Your options are either free contact or bonded.

John Holtz, PE
Mechanical Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

16 years experience with Simulation Mechanical
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sbhardwaj.amu

10-14-2013 10:43 AM in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John,

Thanks for sorting out my confusion. Your reply proven a great help for me.

Thanks and Regards,

Siddharth

Please use plain text.
harshkamdar

04-06-2014 01:43 AM in reply to: sbhardwaj.amu

Hi, I am working on an IGS solid assembly file for doing FEA on modal analysis and static analysis.

How do i simulate a screw fasterning to an igs imported file?? I tried using the bolt without nut function but it doent work when i click ok. i think you might know the anwer.

Regards,

Harsh. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sbhardwaj.amu

04-09-2014 04:46 PM in reply to: harshkamdar

Hi Harsh,

I have not yet got a chance to work with IGS file. However, if the file is being opened properly and you are being able to set contact between the parts, then there must not be the problem in setting the screw joint. Can you explain what error are you getting? 

Regards,

Siddharth

Please use plain text.
harshkamdar

04-10-2014 07:43 PM in reply to: sbhardwaj.amu
I am not even able to click "ok" after choosing the bolt head contact
surface and the interiro hole surface.

the message is 'the bold wizard was unable to determine a hole from the
input surfaces. Check that the interior surfaces of the hole are correct.

I have attached a picture with this message also.
Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
AstroJohnPE

04-10-2014 08:32 PM in reply to: harshkamdar

Hi,

The picture did not come through for some reason. But the message is implying that the software cannot determine the centerline of the hole. (I think that is what it is saying.) It would help us if you could slice your model through the hole so that we can see what it looks like.

John Holtz, PE
Mechanical Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

16 years experience with Simulation Mechanical
Please use plain text.