Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
dgrichte
263 Views, 1 Reply

Simple Warpage Model

I want to simulate the warpage generated from the CTE mismatch of two disimilar (but connected) metals. Essentially, somthing like two different metal 2x4's joined together and then heated up.  Does Simulation allow me to model this? If so, where is the best place to begin (I already have the design)? Any help would be much appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: dgrichte

Hi dgrichte,

Yes, that type of analysis can be performed in Simulation Mechanical. The best place to begin is with the design Smiley Wink.

The only difference between your analysis and any other stress analysis is the addition of the temperature as a load. That is, you need to apply the constraints and mechanical loads (gravity, forces, etc) as you would in any analysis. The basic steps that you do for the temperature are the following:

• Enter the stress-free reference temperature for the parts. (entered in the Element Definition)
  • Confirm that the material properties include a coefficient of expansion.
  • Add the temperature load. There are multiple ways to do this. A uniform temperature applied to the entire model can be specified in the "Analysis Parameters > Thermal" tab. Uniform temperatures applied to different parts can be done from "Setup > Loads > Temperature". A temperature distribution from a transient or steady state heat transfer analysis can be read by specifying the data in the "Analysis Parameters > Thermal" tab.
  • Apply the thermal load to the analysis by entering a thermal load case multiplier in the "Analysis Parameters > Multipliers" tab.

The help documentation ("Start & Learn > Learn > Help") includes a section titled "Examples" in the User's Guide. One of the examples in the Linear and Dynamic STress section is a thermal stress analysis. That would be a good place to start if you are looking for an example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report