Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting "Heat Flow Calculation", parametric BC function

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jones79
412 Views, 2 Replies

Setting "Heat Flow Calculation", parametric BC function

Hello!

I have two questions and hope that you will help me.

While doing some of the  tutorials I came across the "Heat Flow Calculation"-setting in Edit - Element Data. today, but although I read the paragraph about it in the wiki I still do not completly understand what it means. Could you please explain me the difference between Projected at Centroid, Nonlinear Based on BC and Linear Based on BC ?

The other question is: is it possible to use a function to describe a border condition? In my case I need to do a transient heat flux calculation and simulate sun shine. Since the incoming heat flux varies with the sun's elevation angle ("cosine law"), I need to take that into account and attach the border condition to the time variable. How can this be done?

To go even further, is it possible to use a given set of measured data points so that a interpolated function is used to define a border condition?

I hope that you can help me.

Kind regards,

Walter

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jones79
in reply to: jones79

Hello!

Meanwhile I found out that using a changing input should be done using a "load curve".

This page describes different ways to create a load curve:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Autodesk_Simulation/enu/2012/Help/0220-Setting_220/0289-Setting_289/039...

I entered some points to create a load curve. So far it works.  But I can not find the textfield to enter a mathematical formula, nor the Equation Editor. Since I am trying to do a transient heat transfer - is the formula editor only to some of the analysis types? Can you tell me where it is? (Multiphysics 2012)

And to my other question concerning the heat flux calculation:

Could you please explain me the difference between Projected at Centroid, Nonlinear Based on BC and Linear Based on BC?

Kind regards,

Walter

Message 3 of 3
jones79
in reply to: jones79

Ok, I found the equation editor 🙂 Finally...

Is it NOT found using "Analysis Type - Analysis Parameters - Load curve", although you can create load curves there.

The equation editor is available after in the dialog that appears after adding a load to a surface. Click "View/Edit Load curve" there, and another window appears. The equation editor is available there.

Is there a reason why the equation editor is not available in the Analysis Parameters - Load curve or is the user interface just a little bit inconsistent? 🙂

Kind regards,

Walter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report