Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled Analysis

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
thomas.schumacher
745 Views, 5 Replies

Scheduled Analysis

Hello,

I am pretty new to autodesk simulation and FEA analyses. Now I am in a state where I can create models and do the analyses that I need. I would like to make use of the "scheduled analysis" function in the analysis tab of Autodesk Simulation Mechanical SP1. I am doing linear static stress analyses and MES with 3D models. Unfortunately, I have to create a volumetric mesh of all my design scenarios before I can run them with "scheduled analysis". Without the volumetric mesh it does not work and the analyses are aborted during the scheduled run. I have a lot of different design scenarios and it is quite inconvenient to mesh them manually. Is there a possibility to schedule the volumetric meshing prior to the scheduled analysis? Or is there an option which enables the volumetric meshing during the scheduled analysis. Any help is highly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Thomas

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi Thomas,

I am not aware of any option that will automatically perform the solid meshing as part of a scheduled analysis. But here are a couple of ideas that come to mind.

1. There is an option to solid mesh while creating the surface mesh. From memory, it is under the "3D Mesh Settings > Options", then click the Model button on the left.
  2. It is possible to generate the solid mesh from a command prompt (also known as a DOS prompt depending on your age ;-). The program name is solidx.exe. Likewise for running a "scheduled" analysis. That program name is algor.exe. So instead of using the UI to schedule the analysis, you would create a batch file that performs the solid mesh and then runs the analyses.
  3. I see there is a program named AlgorMeshRun.exe. I do not remember exactly what it does, but it appears to be related to generating the solid mesh and would be easier to use than solidx.exe. (Solidx only works on one part at a time, so a model with 100 parts would require solidx to be run 100 times. It appears that AlgorMeshRun.exe will run solidx on ALL of the parts in a specified design scenario.)

Creating batch files is not for everyone, so I have not spent the time here to include those details. If someone would like to get into it, I can elaborate later.

Message 3 of 6

Hi John,

thanks very much for the quick reply. Unfortunately I only have 3 month of experience with mechanical simulation, which might also say something about my age 🙂

I already tried to use algormeshrun.exe to force the solid meshing of the design scenarios of my model. I read the options (see image) after opening the algormeshrun.exe in cmd.exe. However, I do not know the syntax to get it running and I am not sure if I can force the meshing with algormeshrun.exe.  I tried some of the commands (-f, -zf 0) shown in the image and the task seemed to start but than sort of hung up. I don't know if I understood you correctly, but if you could provide a batch file where the syntax is shown, that would be wonderful.

Cheers,

Thomas

Message 4 of 6

You know that you are getting older when you have no recollection of something that you did less than a year ago! Here's a file I found on my computer that shows how to use the AlgorMeshRun. You would save this text to a .BAT file.

:: JWH 2013 April 8

:: The "--" is required!

:: DO NOT use "\" for the runtime options. Use -f, -d, -z instead of \-f, \-d, \-z

:: A space is required between the option and the argument. Use -d 1 instead of -d1.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2013\algormeshrun.exe" -- \-f "C:\Support\Test\BRACK.fem" \-d 1 \-pf \-sf \-z 1

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2013\algormeshrun.exe" -- \-f "C:\Support\Test\BRACK.fem" \-d 2 \-pf \-sf \-z 1

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2013\algormeshrun.exe" -- \-f "C:\Support\Test\BRACK.fem" \-d 3 \-pf \-sf \-z 1

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2013\algormeshrun.exe" -- \-f "C:\Support\Test\BRACK.fem" \-d 7 \-pf \-sf \-z 1

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2013\algor.exe" \-s all "C:\Support\Test\BRACK.fem"

where

• "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2013" is the path to the installation folder
  • \-f is the name of the model (the .fem file) to mesh
  • \-d gives the design scenario to mesh: 1, 2, 3, and 7
  • I do not understand why \-pf and \-sf are given. The help says to "omit to mesh all parts" and "all surfaces", respectively. Perhaps it really means that you can omit the part numbers and surface numbers if you want to mesh all?
  • \-z 1 is the flag to mesh only parts that have not been meshed yet.

Then algor.exe runs the analysis on all of the design scenarios, which presumably were 1, 2, 3, and 7 in this model.

Message 5 of 6

Dear John,

I just tried the meshing with one of my models and it worked. The"--" before the -f command did the trick. Thank you very very much. This will save a lot of time and nervs. I am glad to benefit from your experience.

Thanks again

Thomas

Message 6 of 6

Hi everyone,

I have usually been able to just run a modal analysis live with no issues and get results within 40 minutes, from a day to another it began to show "Scheduled" at the top left of the screen in the data tree, and it does not go anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea of what my problem is? I attached a screenshot of where it is showing SCHEDULED in my screen below.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report