Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red X on Element Definition and Material Won't Go Away

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rlkillian
623 Views, 4 Replies

Red X on Element Definition and Material Won't Go Away

This just started happening to a coworker and myself. We found a knowledge base subject with the same name but it was useless.  And speaking of useless, this renders Simulate absolutely useless.  Exactly how are you supposed to get help with such a serious issue?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: rlkillian

Hi rlkillian,

You can either contact Technical Support (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13806911) and they will ask you for clarifications, or you can provide some more details here and one of the readers may be able to help you. For example,

1. What version of Simulation are you using?
  2. What analysis type?
  3. What element type or types?
  4. When you edit the Element Definition, is there some input missing? (This will normally need to be completed before you can fill in the material properties.)
  5. Does the "Analysis Type" branch in the browser have a red X, too?
  6. Where was this knowledge base article you referenced?
  7. What operating system are you using?
  8. Where is the model stored? Locally on your hard disk, or remotely (network location)
  9. Do you have read and write permission to the location where the data is stored? (The Element Definition and Material properties are stored on disk, not in memory. So not having write permission could be the problem.)
  10. Can you provide an archive of your model? ("File > Archive > Create")

If something else comes to mind, I will post it.

Message 3 of 5
rlkillian
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

My answers are in bold below:

1. What version of Simulation are you using? Build 2013.00.00.0411 Also tried later build same problem.
  2. What analysis type? Static stress with linear material
  3. What element type or types? Plate
  4. When you edit the Element Definition, is there some input missing? (This will normally need to be completed before you can fill in the material properties.) No
  5. Does the "Analysis Type" branch in the browser have a red X, too? Yes
  6. Where was this knowledge base article you referenced? http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15254191&linkID=13806469
  7. What operating system are you using? Windows 7
  8. Where is the model stored? Locally on your hard disk, or remotely (network location) Ah hah, now your barking up the right tree.  The model was on my hard drive. When I moved it to the server it worked okay.  Seems just backward from what I would expect. Our IT guy can find no permission problem but he admits that's probably what it is.  Evidently our permissions are really goofed up.
  9. Do you have read and write permission to the location where the data is stored? (The Element Definition and Material properties are stored on disk, not in memory. So not having write permission could be the problem.) As far as I know, but see no. 8.
  10. Can you provide an archive of your model? ("File > Archive > Create") It happens with any model. I don't think that is the problem but if no success I'll do that later.

Thanks for your interest.  It seems like if its a permission problem it should be pretty easy to fix. If that is the problem the program should let you know that rather than just not working.

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: rlkillian

Hmmm. It is strange that it works with the model on the server but not on your local computer.

But your reply reminded me to mention that the data which is written by the Element Definition, Material, and Analysis Parameters is stored in the folder "my model name.ds_data\design scenario number\ds.mod", so that is the location where write priviledges are needed.

There was a problem years ago that occurred if the path became really long (~250 characters). So if this is a possibility, you may want to try saving the model to something really simple such as "C:\junk".

Message 5 of 5
rlkillian
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

It just gets stranger and stranger. I tried your suggestion and copied the files to C:\junk.  It worked!  But then I thought it seems like a permissions issue to me so I copied it deep deep in the folder hierarchy to something not in the \users\myname\documents branch. This path was much longer than where the files are when they are giving me trouble.  Guess what? It worked!  This is just nuts. I checked my permissions in the offending folder and it says I have "full control".

I guess I'm just going to have to make a folder right off of C: for Simulate files but I hate band-aid solutions like that. I'm a control freak. I like to know what the computer is doing and why.

I generally like Autodesk products very much, but this is making me long for the day when I could pick up the phone and talk to a guy at Algor. I think his name was Mike. I went to a new job a few years ago where I didn't use Algor. I've since changed jobs again and I'm back in the fold but I lost his contact info.  Don't know if he's still there or I would even be allowed to talk to a real human.  As I say, I miss it.

Thanks for standing in the gap John.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report