Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaction Time to Cancel Job

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sgold
384 Views, 3 Replies

Reaction Time to Cancel Job

I started a job the other day, and realized after a short while that I missed an optimization step that would reduce my mesh, so I decided to cancel it.  It took some 20-30 minutes (I finally just minimized the window to wait it out) before the program allowed me to go back into the model to make the changes.  Is this normal?

--Scott

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sgold
in reply to: sgold

Need to clarify I realized.  I was using Simulation Flow 360.

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD
Message 3 of 4
Inv_kaos
in reply to: sgold

Cancel the process through task manager. They run separate to AlgFrame.exe so you will just return to the graphical interface.

I don't know why these processes take so long, I would expect it to be instant but it is similar in SolidWorks too. Would be good if someone from Autodesk could shed some light on this.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 4 of 4
S.LI
in reply to: Inv_kaos

I'm not sure about Flow 360.

For Mechanical and Multiphysics, once a simulation is started, it goes into pre-processors and then processor(solver). No matter which stages it is at, we don't intend to kill a running code, since this would cause some data damage. So usually only a flag is set after a cancel signal is received. Code is going to check this flag at a moment when is safe to itself. So this Cancel only means a signal, instead of immediate reaction. In some specific case, this could take 20 minutes, or even longer.

Of course, to kill it in task manager is an option, but it might cause model damage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report