Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unable to start Autodesk Simulation "Global parameters" screen

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dbcox
735 Views, 4 Replies

"Unable to start Autodesk Simulation "Global parameters" screen

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem with ASM 2013.  I very rarely use it, so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a problem with the software.

To create the simulation, I chose the usual MES w/nonlinear materials model and imported a 2 part Inventor assembly.  I meshed it using the default mesh options.  I then tried to define my material.  I right click on each part's material and click "edit material".  Nothing happens.  No menues, no errors, nothing.

So, I then tried to check my model parameters under the "Model Setup" menue.  I then get a message that states:

"Unable to start Autodesk Simulation "Global parameters" screen"

Am I making a stupid mistake by missing a step, or is there some other issue?

Also, i have installed SP1 and SP2 in an attempt to correct the problem.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: dbcox

Hi dbcox,

When you issue the command to edit the material, does the mouse pointer change to the hourglass? (or whatever the shape is on your system when the computer indicates that it is busy)? If it does, for how long before it disappears? (You could also use the Task Manager to see if the program alg_appl.exe appears when you try to edit the material.)

Is your model stored on your computer? If it is stored on the network somewhere, that might be a problem.

Message 3 of 5
dbcox
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thank you for the reply!

I do not see the hourglass, but for *maybe* a split second.  But, nothing happens.

It is stored on my computer, not a hard drive.

I opened an old simulation from a few months ago that worked fine.  It is not allowing me to make changes to the material either.

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: dbcox

This is going to be one of those "one in 1000 computer" type of problems. You may have better luck contacting Autodesk Technical Support. But here are a few other questions to help debug the problem. (Tech support will probably ask the same questions.)

1. Can you edit the Element Definition for any of the parts?
  2. Can you view the analysis parameters from the "Setup > Model Setup > Parameters" command in the ribbon?
  3. Now that I think about it, the "Global parameters" screen should not be displayed when trying to edit the material. So go to the Windows Task Manager ("Ctrl + Shift + Esc") and go to the "Processes" tab. With all Sim Mechanical dialogs closed except for the main interface, is the program "alg_glob.exe" listed?

If alg_glob is listed, right-click on it and choose "End Process". Can you now edit the materials?

If alg_glob is not listed, then I am stumped.

Message 5 of 5
dbcox
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will check it out in the next few days when I have time and let you know!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report