Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Start Simulation" button not working - Inventor 2012

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
sholmes
561 Views, 2 Replies

"Start Simulation" button not working - Inventor 2012

Hello,

I posted this in the general Inventor forum but was adviced to post in this section as well.

When I select "Start Simulation" from the Add-Ins tab, nothing happens.  The hourglass comes up for a split second, but nothing launches.  We have Simulation 2012 Mechanical installed on the machines.  I have tried with both parts & assemblies.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Obviously we can launch both applications separately but it's nice to go back and forth using the quick launch.

The machines are both Windows 7 Pro (latest service packs) as well as Inventor & Simulation 2012 (Product Design Suite Premium to be exact.)  Inventor has the latest service pack SP1 installed.  This did work in previous versions of Inventor.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Seth

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: sholmes

Hi Seth,

There is a service pack (SP1) for Simulation Mechanical.  I think you can get to the service pack through the Subscription Center ("Getting Started > Web Links > Subscription Center" in Simulation Mechanical).

(Why didn't I think of the SP1 before I typed the rest of this reply? Oh well, I will keep the rest of the text just in case, but the service pack should fix the issue of your Design Suites does not include the Simulation inside of Inventor.)

In Inventor, check what is listed for "Simulation: Mechanical" under "Tools > Options > Add-Ins". It should be loaded (sounds like it is from your description), and note the "Location" given at the bottom of the dialog. If your computer is 64-bit, the file should end in "-x64.dll". If your computer is 32-bit, the file should end in "-ix86.dll".

Is the correct file listed?

Next, is Simulation Mechanical installed to the default folder (C:\Program Files\Autodesk)? More importantly, is it installed to a folder that contains only standard characters A through Z, a through z? Does the path contain characters from another language?

Somewhere under the Simulation Mechanical installation folder is a "readme.html" file. (In my 2011, it is located under "Setup\en-US\SetupRes\Docs", but it might be different for 2012.) Does it indicate any known issues with the Design Suites?

The final item would be to review the page "Help > Installation Help > Autodesk Simulation Installation Addendum > CAD Setup and Troubleshooting". In particular, try the section "To Register Files" located at the bottom of the page.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
sholmes
in reply to: John_Holtz

John,

Thank you very much.  The SP1 solved the issue.  I keep Inventor up to date with service packs but I myself don't use simulation - so I don't keep up with the service packs for Simulation.  I will now!

Thanks again,

Seth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report