Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about beam elements in Algor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bjorn_fallqvist
660 Views, 3 Replies

Question about beam elements in Algor

How does Algor handle short, thick beams? Are the shearing stresses and rotation of the beam cross-section taken into account somehow? I didn't find any information on this in the Algor help file.

Thanks,

Björn

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
xli
Alumni
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

Björn,

There was a similar question recently. As you know, there are two major formulations of beam element, i.e. Euler beam theory and Timoshenko's beam theory. Timoshenko beam is more suitable for describing the behaviour of short beams. Unfortunately we do not have any document left for either beam elements used in linear analysis or MES. We only know both elements are > 20 years old and they are from SAPIV and NSAP. I am wondering any one else here knows these two using which formula? Otherwise we will need to look into source to identify it with some reverse engineering work. Or some tests will make a good guess too.

Well, I will let you know when I obtain any more information further.(My guess both are Euler beam, but it is just a guess).

-xli

Message 3 of 4
bjorn_fallqvist
in reply to: xli

Hi, Xli.

I did a quick calculation with a thick short beam (500*250*10mm), and got the result 0.076mm (E = 210GPa, v=0.3) when using regular Euler-Bernoullis theory, to compare with 0.0759mm when using Algor, so I guess that is the theory which it is based on. I guess for shorter beams, the best thing to do would be to use solid elements.

Regards

Björn

Message 4 of 4
xli
Alumni
in reply to: bjorn_fallqvist

You are right, better solution is using solid elements (Similar for shell element cases). Thanks a lot for letting us know your test results,

-xli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report