Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with meshing.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
humbug1987
731 Views, 6 Replies

Problems with meshing.

I have problems meshing with the Algor Simulation 2012 still.

This time I have drawn a second kind of ports for anothing kind of engine and I kept in mind that I need to keep the model basic and simple.

In particular, it seems to be having particular problem meshing the surface of two lofted port shapes to make a Y junction.

I was very deliberate with my process of modeling, and only chose to model what is important. I am trying to see the difference between my two models however this software is not doing what its supposed to do.

I have attached the files I am trying to simulate. All other complex shapes are meshing exept for this intersected lofted section. I dont know any other way to model it without using the loft tool.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
humbug1987
in reply to: humbug1987

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 7
madg1

can u upload the model in stp format....and i see the part as one complete solid part....it doesn't have wall thickness right....i tried to mesh the part.....failed at the loft...so if you can ...upload the step file.....i will try to mesh it....

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 4 of 7
humbug1987
in reply to: madg1

Thanks for the reply.

I looked into step exporter for autocad... however this wasn't working. So I finally loaded up my drawing in 2007 solidworks sp5, and saved as step file. Simulation couldn't read the STEP AP203 format so I tried the STEP AP214 format at that worked. I was able to mesh the model at 100% no problem! I'm quite impressed!

I made no changes to the file except exporting from solid works. Unfortunately this silly autodesk forum wont allow me to attach step files. Its nothing but problems with autodesk...

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that Autodesk products can't work together. If AD is just buying programs and slapping their name on it, they should at least try to fix this most obvious compatibility issue.

Message 5 of 7
madg1

try to zip  and upload...

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 6 of 7
humbug1987
in reply to: madg1

Its ok, I've got it working now.

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to come back when the program misbehaves again.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
John_Holtz

Hi Brendan,

Just a couple of notes for future reference.

If a model does not mesh, try to turn off the "Mesh > Mesh > Use VCad" option.

Try version 2013. We spent a year replacing our CAD kernel with the corporate Autodesk kernel, so model transfer between Autodesk products is much better.

I was able to get both of your models to mesh using the two items I mentioned. They needed a finer mesh than the default, too.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report