Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
dharhay
1147 Views, 8 Replies

Problems with 2012

I downloaded the 2012 Simulation - Linear and have found the following issues in no particular order:

1) First model was not that large for what I do and I found that to rotate, zoom etc in the results tab was painfully slow.

2)While running that model and a smaller one in the background, I found that Outlook, AutoCad, everything was slow, I mean down to a crawl.

My system is a Dell Precision T1500, 8gig ram, NVIDEA graphics card w 512K, Windows 7 64 bit.

3)The 2 models went to solution, with the default bonded contacts.  When even one surface contact was put in, I had to stop the analysis after waiting for solution of over 3 times the time of the previous ones with bonded contacts, up to 1/2 hour that I waited.

4)Stopping the analysis is still a big issue.  I must re-start or shutdown the system to get any other work done.  One other thing that helps is to go into the task manager and shut down the process srunx.exe.

5)One day later, I cannot left click on the Simulation Icon to start the program.  I have to find a program in the tree structure named Algfram.exe and left click on it to run the program.

6)Once in the program and having the smaller model up and run with no surface contact, I get a solution.  I cannot select to show the mesh along with contours, cannot change from the default VonMises stress to Displacement or ANY other stress.  I get the error - 'Could not execute the command due to an unknown error.'

Are there any other comments out there from users of the 2012 version?

Dave H
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
punisher
in reply to: dharhay

I am not sure it will help your situation, however there is a service pack out for 2012. I remember there being some interface issues resolved.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17244805&linkID=13806470

Hope it helps.

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 3 of 9
nmt
Advocate
in reply to: punisher

I am also having problems with 2012.

Whwn I installed it on my old computer with Vista 32 I got thrown out as soon as I tried to change visual styles or from VonMiese to anything else in the results environment. Wors was that it affected even my 2011 installation so I ended up with no analysiscapability at all.

I got a new computer with Win7 64 bit 8 GB ram, everything was ok.until this friday, Windows installed SP1 and after that the same problem occured on my new computer too!

I have tried reinstalling Sim. 2012, appying SP1 to no luck.

So now I am stuck again...

What might be going on???

HP Elitebook 8540W

Win7 / 64

8 GB ram, 500 GB HDD

Nvidia  Quadro 1800M

Regards / H. Nilsson

Message 4 of 9
S.LI
in reply to: nmt

My current laptop is also HP Elitebook 8540w, but with 12G RAM.

I have no any issue after recent Windows update.

How big is your model? After loading your model, how many RAM is taken by ASIM?

How about other models, such as smaller one?

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 9
nmt
Advocate
in reply to: S.LI

I have tried with a really simple model, just a plate 500x500 mm subjected to pressure, all edges fixed, same crash.

The program uses 215 100 kB.

So the problem is the same for both large, complicated models and small ones.

If I try to change between stress, deformations and so on by clicking saved presentations in the browser everything works fine, but trying to change anything from the ribbon menu gives the famous message and Sim. shuts down.

Regards /

H. Nilsson

Message 6 of 9
bannecke
in reply to: dharhay

Hi Dave,

regarding your questions I can give you the following answers:

1) First model was not that large for what I do and I found that to rotate, zoom etc in the results tab was painfully slow.

2)While running that model and a smaller one in the background, I found that Outlook, AutoCad, everything was slow, I mean down to a crawl.

My system is a Dell Precision T1500, 8gig ram, NVIDEA graphics card w 512K, Windows 7 64 bit.

With my System Win7 64, 24 gig, 1GB Graphic, MES2012 - no SP, no such problems occured.

3)The 2 models went to solution, with the default bonded contacts.  Whe

n even one surface contact was put in, I had to stop the analysis after waiting for solution of over 3 times the time of the previous ones with bonded contacts, up to 1/2 hour that I waited.

The usage of surface contacs exponentially increases calculation time. Calculation time increases from a few minutes to several hours seems to be normal.

I did not see one of the other problems you describe. Stopping analysis freezes my MES too, but only for a couple of minutes.

Regards

Boris

Message 7 of 9
nmt
Advocate

Hello Everyone

Is there anybody but me having the problems I mentioned in my earlier post?

I am really stuck here, I have tried all that I know of, but I am really stuck.

As I mentioned before the problems started after applying Win7 SP1, as soon as I try to eg. show mesh or change stresses from von M.to Tresca in the results environment I get thrown out.

Could this be some kind of a regional problem, my Win version is in Swedish?

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Best regards / H. Nilsson

Message 8 of 9
SaMurgie

Hi nmt

Yes, it could be a regional settings issue.

Most regional setting issues occur because either the installation directory or the model directory (perhaps $TEMP) contain non-English characters.

Another thing to check is your graphics driver.  Perhaps you need to update it to go with your Windows update...

Cheers,
Sam

Message 9 of 9
nmt
Advocate
in reply to: SaMurgie

Hi,

I reported the case to technical support, I got very professional help from the guys there.

At the end I did a complete reinstall of Windows and all applications, making sure not to use any non-English characters.

So now everything is all right again, however I am very suspicious about applying any windows updates for the time being.

After all my problems started the black Friday when Win7 SP1 was installed.

Best regards / H. Nilsson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report