Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
JLK64
453 Views, 2 Replies

Plate Vs Brick

While performing a modal analysis on a sheet metal assembly, the model was meshed with plate elements.  A second analysis was performed with the same geometry,but with brick elements.  The results between the plate elements and brick elements is quite different.  Can someone give me an idea why this would be?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: JLK64

Hi,

I am going to take a guess that the frequencies from the brick model were higher. That can be explained by the stiffness of brick elements in a bending mode. Brick models with bending usually need more than one element through the thickness to accurately capture the bending. (You may be able to compensate for that issue if you include the midside nodes for the brick parts. That setting is under the Element Definition.)

If the plate model has higher frequencies, then something is wrong in the setup. Either the weight of the models is different, or the boundary conditions are different.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
JLK64
in reply to: John_Holtz

You're correct - the brick model did have higher frequencies.  I'll revise the mesh number of elements through the thickness.  Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report