Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate model meshing over hole

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
399 Views, 3 Replies

Plate model meshing over hole

I am importing a plate model from inventor that has a surface with a hole in it.  The meshing engine in simulation keeps meshing over the hole like it is not there.  When I change the view to CAD surfaces I can see that the hole does exist.  Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

mesh problem.PNG

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hello jmcternan,

I've had this happen in the past also.  Please try the following to resolve the problem.

1. Check your Inventor model for extra planes that Simulation may be finding.  Hide those planes before importing into Simulation.

2. Add refinement points at the edge of the circles.

It also looks like there is some bad mesh from the base component, large gray object, and the brackets with holes in them.  I would recommend adding a split surface with edges co-linear with the planes of the brackets to the Inventor model to help the two components connect.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

I also found a solution as I played with the mesh settings.  I have one large geometry and several smaller geometries.  I believe that the larger geometry is skewing the mesh settings because the mesh setting must be based on a fraction of the feature size.  By using global settings to mesh the smaller geometries and part settings to mesh the large geometry, the meshing engine was able to mesh the holes correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report