Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Displacement Analysis when being Cut

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tremulous555
344 Views, 1 Reply

Pipe Displacement Analysis when being Cut

Can anyone guide me the type of Analysis I must do in Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics to calculate the displacement of the Pipe when it is cut-down?
Consider that the pipeline is submerged in water and flooded, and we are performing to cut it and some point of the pipeline. Energy will be released and hence displacement shall occur.

How do I perform this and what loads and fixation points must I consider?
I want to perform a scenario in which the pipe gets cut like in the video below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a video reference of the displacement This is the kind of displacement when the pipe is cut down I am talking about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go3Nd6H3M1E

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
KubliJ
in reply to: tremulous555

Hello,

There are a few things to consider for this analysis

1. You will need to know in advance how much deflection is applied to the pipe relative to where the pipe is supported and where the cut is at
  2. It is not possible to simulate the breaking of the connection between the pipe as it is cut
  3. To get the viscous damping effects on the pipe as it is released, will require hand calculated beforehand.  Multiphyiscs does not allow linear part motion in CFD.

Basically the analysis will simplify down to a simple cantilever beam analysis in which the beam is deformed to the strained state and then released.  The volume of the fluid in the pipe can be accounted for to get the inertia effects, but the damping from the motion through the water will have to be applied as a damping ratio applied to the model.  Without the inclusion of the viscous damping from the external fluid, you will get a worse case result.

I would suggest modeling it as a simple beam element in a cantilever situation suing MES, ignore the internal fluid and viscous damping of the external fluid.  The analysis will take a matter of seconds to solve and you will end up with an over estimate of the beams reaction.

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report