Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin losing rotation with mesh

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jdemarco
270 Views, 2 Replies

Pin losing rotation with mesh

Has anyone ever had an issue with a pin joint becoming rigid with a change in mesh size?

I am running a mechanical linear study, the model has been solving without issue.  We then mad a change in the movement of the hinge in the cad model, re-imported, and re-meshed the model.  Now it treats the pin joint as a rigid component (no longer allows rotation). I had set the components to part mesh to prevent a change in mesh size, thinking maybe that was causing the issue - but it still occurs.

Any ideas?

Running Simulation Mechanical 2013

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: jdemarco

Hi,

I do not know why it would have started (instead of being present at the beginning), other than that is how computers handle math. If it is not precise, then issues occur. 😞

Open the documentation (Help) and search for "Joint components". The illustration at the bottom of the page mentions about joints locking up, so that is probably the problem.

Message 3 of 3
jdemarco
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

John,

Thank you for the quick reply.  The items are not in surface contact with one another, and this only occurs occasionally.  I was hoping somebody on here had run inot it nd had a 'fix'.  TThe only solution I have found is to delete the joint, add a new one, and re-solve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums