Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Particles Mass Loss

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
luis_andueza
318 Views, 2 Replies

Particles Mass Loss

Hi everyone,

I don´t know if this topic belongs here or to multiphysics, but anyway, here it is.

I want to simulate a process that involves a flow of rocks thru chutes, and here are the questions:

- Am I able to define the geometry of the particles with an own CAD model?

- Am I able to calculate the rocks mass loss due to clash of the process itself?

- It is possible to calculate the stress state of the chutes due to this flow of rocks?

I know it sounds kind of impossible simulation, but, it is possible? or, is there any software that could do that?

Thanks.

Luis

Luis José Andueza Castro
Ing. Mecánico - Consultor CAD/CAM/CAE/Data Management
www.dimcad3d.com | LinkedIn |

¿Te resultó útil esta publicación? No dudes en darle Me gusta a esta publicación.
¿Tu pregunta fue respondida exitosamente? Entonces haz clic en el botón ACEPTAR SOLUCIÓN.

EESignature

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: luis_andueza

Hi Luis,

It is theoretically possible to perform the simulation using the analysis type of "Nonlinear > MES". What you would need to do is define surface-to-surface contact between anything that can contact anything else.

The possible problem is the number of contact elements that would need to be created. If the chute can hold 100 rocks at a time, it would take time to setup the contact so that it is efficient, and then it would require a lot of RAM on the computer, and then it would require a long runtime. If the chute only holds 10 rocks at a time, then it should be possible to define the contacts between the items without going overboard. For example, the first rock into the chute is not likely to touch the last rock, so do not waste resources defining the contact between them.

The rocks will not break in the simulation, so you will not be able to calculate any mass loss. But the answer to the other two questions is yes.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Great info thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report