Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
MarkSutcliffe
482 Views, 4 Replies

Over/Under

Is there an easy way to measure percent (nodes or volume) of a model that is over over/under a number (tensile yield for example)? In my project requirements no more than 10% of an FEA model may exceed yield. By visual inspection I'm borderline.

I can export the nodal information to Excel, but that's cumbersome considering the large number of nodes in the model I'm working with. I was hoping there was an easier way.

mark

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
S.LI
in reply to: MarkSutcliffe

I'm not sure this is going to work

1.) hide all yield elements

2.) measure the volume of remainings. (I know algor could measure volumne, but I'm not sure if it could do it for portion of a model)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: MarkSutcliffe

Hi Mark,

To elaborate on what S.Li said, here's a broad overview of the steps. (Sorry, but I'm doing this from memory, so some of the steps or terminology may be off a little.)

1. Use the "Tools > Weight and Center of Gravity" command to calculate the volume of the model. (Even if you know this from another source, you still need to do it in Algor because that command calculates the volume of each element.
  2. View the stress results.
  3. In the browser, right on the entry "Filter Module" and add a filter for the desired range.
  4. Set the desired range.
  5. Set the selection method to Elements.
  6. Ctrl+A to select all of the elements that meet the filter.
  7. right-click and choose to hide the selected or unselected elements.
  8. Results > Element Properties > Volume.
  9. Select all of the elements, then Inquire > Results and choose "Sum" in the drop-down (bottom left corner).

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 4 of 5
S.LI
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks John for these details.

And it works, except for that you have to uncheck "results options -> smooth results" before inquiring element volumes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 5
MarkSutcliffe
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks John! That's much better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report