Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output files that can be safely deleted

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
AndrewWeighell7348
392 Views, 2 Replies

Output files that can be safely deleted

Creating .ach files at the end of a job to minimise storage space would be the ideal option .  However, this requires some effort and ach has to be expanded to view.

I would like to have easy access to some models but I want to keep the size down by deleting the results files.  My plan is to use a windows script or a batch file to delete the results files.  Which file types can be safely deleted for every type of analysis?

My plan was to archive a model without results and then recover it to a new folder.  I could then compare the folders of the expanded file with existing model.  The only down side is that some archives contain files which are not saved in others.  e.g. .wlg

From the A-Sim help, "File extension Summary" there is a list of "File Extensions Output by the Processor".  Is it safe to delete all these file extensions?

Thanks

Andrew

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi Andrew,

In theory, it is okay to delete all of the files listed in the File Extension Summary, provided you are willing to re-run the simulation if you ever need those results again. Deleting those results will not affect the input files, so you can continue to use the model as a starting point for other analyses, and so on. Also, you may be able to selectively delete some files that you consider less important. Perhaps you never look at the strain results, so that file can be deleted while keeping the stress and displacement files.

Be aware that different versions of the software may give different results depending on what changes have been made. The differences are normally well within the accuracy of the calculations, so those situations are not of concern. What would be a concern is if there is a significant bug fix, or a major change in how something is handled which results in a more significant change in the results. Without having the original results to interrogate and compare to the new results, it may be difficult to understand the reasons for the changes.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3

John,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.  It was more for "trial runs" which are building space used on my laptop.  I will note your advice for "Final" calcs and use an .ach file with results.

Best Regards

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report