Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orthotropic material - 'element' or 'material' axis?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
sapayne
692 Views, 2 Replies

Orthotropic material - 'element' or 'material' axis?

Hi

Quick question about using orthotropic materials. I've gotten the 'material axis' in the results environment to allign with what I would like to be the 'Local Axis 1'. This however does not correspond to 'element axis 1'. I's like to use tetrahedral elements, so it's proving impossible to have the 'element axis 1' allign with my desired 'local axis 1' of my orthotropic material.

Could someone please verify that the 'material axis' is the 'local axis 1' for orthotropic materials? Or help me uderstand how the 'material axis', 'element axes', and 'local axes' correspond.

Thanks,
Shannon

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ilyas_drawbridge
in reply to: sapayne

Hi,

As I understand it, there are a few axis to know inside Sim Mech. 1. Global 2. Element 3. Material 4. Layer(for composite laminae). I believe material axis shown in the results environment refers to the local axis 1 inside the material properties. This page has a good description on the orientation of the various axis inside the software. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 3 of 3
sapayne
in reply to: ilyas_drawbridge

Thanks 🙂

I'd read all the documentation on composite elements, but hadn't checked the plate element page. I think we're correct to assume at the 'material axis' in the results environment is the 'local axis 1' in the material properties. The nomenclature is a bit confusing as one would assume that the 'local axis' is the elements local coordinate system.

Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report