Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal Hardware specifications for Simulation Mechanical

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sladisch
469 Views, 1 Reply

Optimal Hardware specifications for Simulation Mechanical

Hi together,

in our company we want to buy a new PC for doing the FEA. With my current PC the Software (Simulation Mechanical 2015) is very slow (GUI, loading Results, changing Loadcases).

We already invested in some SSD but ist doesn't seem to change anything. The loading times are still very long. A Screenshot of my current config is attached.

Do you have sugestions for optimizing my current machine?

Can anyone give me some hints for the new PC? Which Processor and/or GPU works best with Simulation Mechanical?

Regards

Stefan

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
bryan_mcnatt
in reply to: sladisch

We're thinking alike this morning!  I found this regarding system requirements for Autodesk Simulation Mechanical (ASM).  There's a note about 'superior' performance.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/simulation-mechanical/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcar...

I was moved to research this because I attended a user group meeting yesterday for SolidWorks Simulation.  While I believe the ASM that I/we have offers all the computational power of their Simulation Premium product, their product is much, much, much more responsive in terms of its user interface.  I don't think the ASM UI will be helped by adding things like RAM and SSD.  Probably, only the CPU will help such and I'm at 3.20 GHz on a Core i5 already.  Sure, I can get better but will the UI responsiveness change much?  My gut says not but I'm open to what others have experienced.

I'll be honest.  In the past, I've stood resolutely by my Algor/ASIM software because it always provided the most/best bang for the buck.  But as other software has improved and as I'm spending more and more of my time running multiple scenarios, changing parameters, reporting, graphing, etc., I'm beginning to value better UI responsiveness.

Autodesk, please weigh in on 1) how can we maximize UI performance with both new and old hardware and 2) what is Autodesk doing about UI responsiveness going forward in future releases.

Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report