Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
robinsmk
1034 Views, 5 Replies

negative Jacobian

I am trying to mesh a base frame for a car. There are couple of structural members. But whenever I start the the analysis It says negative jacobian as the error. I have turned on the allow microholes option too. But the problem persists. I am using bricks and tetrahed mesh option. 

Is there any way to solve the issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
qzhu
in reply to: robinsmk

There are serveral places that issue Jacobian warnings/errors. If you post the specific error messge, it will help. But in general, if the error is from the solver, it is usually caused by large deformation to some elements, some of which may initially in near singular shapes.

Message 3 of 6
robinsmk
in reply to: qzhu

this is the error i got

"

Warning: Element no.         2303 jacobian is very small.

Make sure that element node numbering is

correct and that element is not distorted.

ERROR: Element no.         2303 jacobian is negative.

What is the remedy to it as i have spend hours to mesh the model. Is it a way to correct the error without re meshing?

Message 4 of 6
Keith1022

I'm having the same problem. I've searched through my element numbers and find a duplicate of the element with the negative jacobian. Is there a way to delete the duplicate?

Message 5 of 6
AstroJohnPE

Hi Robinsmk: If there is any good news, it is that only one part needs to have its solid mesh redone ("Mesh > Mesh > Create Solid Mesh" when you have the part selected). You do not need to surface mesh (Mesh > Mesh > Generate 3D Mesh) the model or any parts.

Hopefully the warning/error gives some indication about which PART element 2303 is in. Look at the lines just before the text that you provided for a clue. Once you know which part has the problem, use the proceedure on the Help page "Nonpositive Jacobian Errors or Distorted Elements" and specify a smaller length ratio.

Hi Keith1022: Each part in the model has an element number XXXX (at least the parts that have that many elements!). So the problem is not caused by a duplicate element. As indicated in my description above, you need to find out which part has the problematic element, and then redo the solid mesh in that part.

Technically, an element can be deleted from the model, but it cannot be done through the interface. (It is done by editing the element database and model database.) Furthermore, a model whose database has been edited cannot be analyzed from within the interface! You would need to run the analysis from a DOS/Command window.

Message 6 of 6
Keith1022
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report