Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Simulating Shaft Torque

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jonno000
450 Views, 2 Replies

Need Help Simulating Shaft Torque

Hey guys,

I'm a new user here looking for some help with FEA (Simulation Multiphysics 2012). I attached an image so you can visualize what I'm trying to do. Basically I have a shaft supported by two bearings, and a belt sheave driving a centrifugal fan. I have split the faces on the shaft and I am applying a pin constraint at the bearing locations. I figured out now to apply the tangential loads, but I am unsure how to apply the torque.

I would appreciate any advice you guys have, thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Gyrus1
in reply to: jonno000

Hi,

There is an exercise you can try:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ASMECH/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-3E4DAC24-24ED-446B-B5FD-BBAFEA32FB58

Also, there is a previous discussion thread, type in torque on the search bar.

If I remember correctly, the software had an update last year to place a torque on a bar fairly easily (but you have 2012 so perhaps not of use), I will take a look when my current analysis stops,

Regards,

Mike

Message 3 of 3
jonno000
in reply to: Gyrus1

Thanks for the info Mike, I'll take a look at the exercise and the previous discussion.

One thing I didn't mention is this shaft is rotating at about 3000 rpm and the belt drive is driven by a 31 HP engine. However, if I can simulate the shaft statically with equal and opposing torques at the areas of interest (sheave and fan), it will be good enough for my current needs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report