Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Point Constraint in 2D Mesh Analysis?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
martin_madaj
403 Views, 3 Replies

Multi-Point Constraint in 2D Mesh Analysis?

Hello,

is it possible to use Multi-Point Constraint in 2D analysis problem? I'd like to prescribe equal displacements to some nodes of my 2D model. I think it is possible only for 3D analysis but maybe I missed something...

Thanks, Martin.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: martin_madaj

You should be able to use MPCs in a 2D analysis. Naturally, you can only include the Y displacement and/or Z displacement in the equations.

Message 3 of 4
martin_madaj
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Oh, I see now... The MPCs are not available when your analysis type is set to Static Stress with Nonlinear Material Models. Do you have any idea how to get the same MPCs functionality in nonlinear analysis type?

Message 4 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: martin_madaj

Hi Martin,

Whether you can do something similar to what MPCs can do will depend on what needs to be done. For example, if you wanted to use MPCs to keep a line of nodes perfectly vertical (Y displacement the same) but otherwise free to move in the Y in response to other loads, you could connect all of the nodes with a stiff beam and apply an X rotation constraint to the beam. (What happens is the beam is free to translate in Y. The Rx constraint prevents it from rotating, and the stiffness of the beam prevents it from bending; thus, the nodes on the beam remain vertical. But note that the stiffness of the beam also affects the Z displacement of the nodes on the 2D elements.)

Another option may be to use the "Results-based load curves" -- if you can use an applied load to get the desired displacement effect that the MPC should do. For example, if node A should move twice as far as node B, and if you can apply some type of load that will cause node B to displace, then you can adjust the magnitude of the load "on the fly" by using the displacement results of A and B. If B has not displaced twice as much as A, you need to apply a larger load. If it displaced more, you need to use a smaller load. After you estimate how much load is required in each case, you can set up the results-based load curve and let the simulation run.

So if a work around is not obvious in your scenario, perhaps you can describe what you want to do and someone can provide a suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report