Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving meshed parts

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Stefan2653
587 Views, 2 Replies

Moving meshed parts

Hi,

I would like to create an assembly in ASIM using separately automeshed parts (from CAD solids). However, when I merge the meshed parts, they often come in at random locations. When I try to move them into the correct positions I am required to re-mesh the parts, which puts them right back in their original, random locations.

Is there a way to disassociate the individual meshed parts from their parent solids so they can be moved and copied as necessary?

Thanks.

Stefan

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Stefan2653

Hi Stefan,

If you want to move the CAD parts in Simulation, you can send the model to Fusion ("Tools > Edit > CAD with Fusion") and position the parts in the proper location and orientation. Then you can send the adjusted model back to Simulation. This would be the preferred method.

The second method would be to generate the surface mesh ("Mesh > Mesh > Generate 3D Mesh"), select the lines ("Selection > Select > Lines"), and then move and rotate the lines to the proper position ("Draw > Pattern > Move or Copy"). There are multiple disadvantages to this method, so it is not recommended.

And a couple of other technicalities.

1) The merged parts are not in random positions in Simulation; they are in the same position as they were drawn. Of course, this does not help when trying to create an assembly.

2) When you move the parts, you are not required to redo the surface mesh. You may need to do the solid mesh, but that will not change the surface mesh back to the "random" location of the CAD parts. Of course, if you decide to change the surface mesh for whatever reason, the mesh will revert to the position of the CAD parts.

3) There is no direct command to disassociate the mesh from the CAD part, other than to select the lines and change them to a different part number ("Draw > Modify > Attributes").

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
Stefan2653
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it was the re-meshing after moving the parts that was causing the move back to the original position. I see now that copying the surface mesh to another part number basically separates it from the parent solid, which is what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Stefan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report