Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling Induction Heating

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
717 Views, 3 Replies

Modelling Induction Heating

Hi,

I'm using Multiphysics for a uni project and I want to know if it is possible to model induction heating, and if so how would I go about it? I've had a introduction to the software, but only doing fluid flow, steady heat transfer, and pressure vessel buckling etc.

I've been seaching for an answer for a few days, but I haven't found anything. I have read the post in this forum about the induction heating parameters, but I don't completely understand how he had his model set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Ollie

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ollie,

If you know what the pattern and magnitude of the heat generation created by the induction heating, then you can enter it as a heat generation in your thermal analysis. The complexity of the pattern and magnitude will determine what approach you need to use. If the power generation is uniform, you can enter it directly. If it varies based on position, your options are to split the model into additional parts so that you can apply a uniform heat generation to each part to approximate the distribution, or you can try to edit the model databases so that each element has the proper heat generation based on the position. I have not done this type of manipulation, but I have done similar things (such as temperature as a function of position, pressure as a function of position.)

If you do not know the pattern or magnitude of the induction heating, the software will not be able to calculate it for you.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

I have done a few calculations by hand but nothing precise. I want to see what kind of power I need to generate the required heat.

Really I need to input electrical power through the wires, and have the heat of the part as the output? From what I understand from your answer this isn't possible, which is annoying.

I get that I could model it as a heat generation problem, but I want to know the how much heat is generated by the induction effect. I might see if I can get access to COMSOL somehow, as that has an induction heating mode.

Many thanks for you time and informative answer though,

Ollie

Message 4 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

I guess I do not know what induction heating is. Sorry. Smiley Sad

What you describe is possible with Multiphysics. See the example in the documentation: "Autodesk Simulation > Examples > Modeling > Heat Generation Due to Electrical Current Model"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report