Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Disconnecting

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MichaelTurbet
339 Views, 2 Replies

Model Disconnecting

I have created a rather large assembly using AutoCAD 2011, the software I am most familiar with, the imported that file into Fusion and from there passed it into Mechanical Simulation for analysis. The model claims to have meshed fully but when doing a basic linear structural analysis with small loads on a single surface, one of my bodies, where the force was applied, has been effectively snapped in two. I can see no rational explanation for this and wondered if anyone had any suggestions or ideas what may be causing it.

N.B. I am currently only running the trial version of the software.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: MichaelTurbet

Hi Michael,

I do not understand your description. Is it that two parts are not "stuck" together, so applying a load to one part causes it to move away from the rest of the assembly? If this is the case, the problem is related to the contact setup, the mesh size, or something else.

It is possible for  there to be distorted elements which get removed from the solution. If there were enough of these all located in the same location, it is technically possible that a single part could be split into two separate bodies although I have never seen this before. You did not mention any warnings or errors during the analysis, so does that mean that there were no errors or warning reported?

Can you make an image of your results and attached it to the forum?

P.S. If your AutoCAD file is a solid model, you should open it directly with Autodesk Simulation ("Getting Started > Open" and set the "Files of type" to AutoCAD dwg.) This would bypass the step with Fusion.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
hupn
in reply to: MichaelTurbet

Agreed with John's point. And you may want to check whether any model changes happens in Fusion(explictly or implictly) if you choose to pass the model through it.

hup

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report