Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modal Analysis of Baseball Bat

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
897 Views, 4 Replies

Modal Analysis of Baseball Bat

Hi, this is my first question posted so I'm not sure if this is the right place but here goes!

I am trying to do a modal analysis of a baseball bat in Inventor 2014 to estimate the first two natural frequencies and plot the first two mode shapes.  I've assigned the material and set fixed-free boundary conditions--but I'm not sure what to do from here.  This is my first modal analysis--so how do I disrupt the model in order to observe the vibrational response?  The only option I can see is to apply a load (i.e. a ball striking the bat), but there is nowhere to set it so that the load only acts for a certain amount of time.  Help=much appreciated.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi gruenhir,

Modal analysis does not require any loads, so it sounds like your setup is complete. Smiley Happy (Recall from your vibration classes that the frequency is proportional to sqrt(k/m). Note that there is no load in this equation!)

Click the run button and let us know what the frequencies are. Someone can probably estimate the answer from their personal experience. (It has been a long time since I batted a ball and felt the vibration of the bat.)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi, thanks!  I did do this--the only difference is that I had to get rid of the fixed boundary condition (apparently we are supposed to do free-free).  Here is a screencap of my results--it has F1 and F2 at zero hertz.  Not sure what I'm missing here! It appears as though nothing really happened.

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming that Inventor's simulation behaves the same as Simulation Mechanical, there will be 6 "frequencies" of 0 Hz when the model has no boundary conditions. The model can translate in X, Y, or Z without any bending, and rotate about X, Y, or Z. So to get the "first" two modes in your model, you will need to solve for a minimum of 8 frequencies. Some solvers need to solve for more frequencies than desired, so I suggest that you ask for 10 frequencies.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Ah perfect!  I get 180.80 Hz and 138.96 Hz.  Compared to the others being all zeros, those two values seem to be pretty close to me...is that to be expected?

Thanks for the help!  That explains so much that I have been unable to figure out, even after scouring the internet...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report