Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MES Simulation of Gears

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nosborne
1177 Views, 3 Replies

MES Simulation of Gears

I have a 2D gear model that I am trying to run in MES. I have a prescribed displacement equal to 1 tooth on the large gear so that I can examine the the displacements and stress through the 6.1 degrees of rotation. Based on  the rpm of the gear the time of the event would be about 0.0326 seconds. I get results that are obviously based on rotating the gears from 0 to 115 rpm during that time based on the inertia of the gears.

My question is: How do I exclude the inertia from the analysis? I can use a longer time period but does that have an effect on the contact stresses at  the teeth?

I have not used MES much so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: nosborne

Nice gears. Smiley Happy

Most formulas for inertia include the mass, so setting the mass density to 0 could be one solution.

But MES often has problems if all of the parts have 0 mass. A better solution would be to give all of the parts an initial rotation (Setup > Loads > Initial Velocity). Naturally, you will need to provide two initial velocities because the center of rotation is different for the gear and pinion.

Message 3 of 4
nosborne
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thanks for the help John. I will give it a try. I tried using zero density materials but the model would not run at all.

Message 4 of 4
zhuangs
in reply to: nosborne

The reason is that you are using "MES with Nonlinear Material Models" type, which need mass matrix in the equation.  So zero density is not allowed.

-Shoubing

@nosborne wrote:

Thanks for the help John. I will give it a try. I tried using zero density materials but the model would not run at all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report