Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MES Nonlinear material ultimate strength?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
nathaniel.schultz
284 Views, 2 Replies

MES Nonlinear material ultimate strength?

I get that once the material exceeds the yield stress it then moves to the strain hardening part of the stress-strain curve, but is there an ultimate stress? I used the ASTM A-36 material from the material library. The reason I ask is that one of my models had stresses around 120ksi, where as ASTM A-36 ultimate is around 50ksi.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

The analysis does not use the ultimate stress in the manner that you asked. The elements would need to break apart to show the effect, and the software does not have that capability.

So, the analysis treats the stress-strain curve as extending to infinity. (I think that it follows the slope of the last segment, but I do not remember that with 100% certainly. Perhaps the wiki help (documentation) indicates what is used beyond the "last" data point.)

The software can use the ultimate stress to estimate a strain hardening modulus as shown by the equation in the wiki Help (documentation).

Message 3 of 3

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report