Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MES impact no contact element

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hwke12
495 Views, 4 Replies

MES impact no contact element

Recently, I try to run the impact simulation. I assigned surface contact but it showed no contact element. I am not sure what I should do to fix this problem.

** Input elements...

** 3-D kinematic element calculation, number of element = 4669

** 3-D continuum element calculation, number of element =     63217

P-S contact will be used for contact pair, 1

** 3-D slide/no bounce surface contact element calculation (Initial),

number of element =         0,

1 contact element will be set to track down the relative motion.

** Nonzero entries initially in upper triangle matrix = 5630262

** Parallel AMG Iterative Solver Solution

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: hwke12

Hi hwke12

1. What version of the software are you using? The current version available is 2013 service pack 2 (2013.02.00.0010 under the "Getting Started > Help > About").
  2. Did you run the analysis and confirmed that the parts passed through each other with no stress or reaction forces created? Although there may have been only 1 element at the beginning, the number of elements can change as different parts come into contact.
  3. What type of surface contact did you select under the settings? I tried the different slide/no bounce options but was not able to reproduce the line "3-D slide/no bounce surface contact element".

If you are allowed, you can post an archive of your model for someone to take a look at.

Message 3 of 5
hwke12
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

1. The version I have is 2012.00.00.0163. This is commerical version

2. The projectile did pass through the other parts with no stress between them.

3. I use the automatic option for the surface contact. I also use fictionless contact element but still the same problem.

How can I upload my model, it seems too large for the attachment.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE

Please check the following controls (described in the help pages that I have linked)

To reduce the size of the archive, please see this thread (if you haven't already).

Message 5 of 5
zhuangs

I can explain why you got the following information:

** 3-D slide/no bounce surface contact element calculation (Initial),

number of element =         0,

1 contact element will be set to track down the relative motion.

Since the contact updating option in your model is "Automatic", and the solver will update the number of contact elements for global contact search based on the process.  At the very beginning, two contact surface/parts are far enough, and no local cotnact search is needed, so the (Initial) number of element is zero.  However, if you let the model keep running, you will find that the contact is considered.

Of course, if you change the contact updating option from "Automatic" to "Never", and set the maximum initial distance as a value larger than the the inital distance, you can see the number of element is not zero.

However, "Automatic" is usually the best contact updating option when you simulate impact problem using surface contact.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report