Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MES Horizontal motion of the ball

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
eugene.kluev
364 Views, 10 Replies

MES Horizontal motion of the ball

Hi, Gents.

Descripiton of the task: 1 part - platform with hills and one hole, 2nd - the ball which must matched with the hole. The main problem - how to make horizontal motion of the ball and what type of the contact is need to use. The model archive i've attached below

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
zhuangs
in reply to: eugene.kluev

Your attachement is not found.  Please double check.

-Shoubing

Message 3 of 11
eugene.kluev

Message 4 of 11
eugene.kluev
in reply to: zhuangs

Here it is above
Message 5 of 11
zhuangs

I checked the model.  You added precribed displacement on the whole ball part.  How to control the horizontal motion of the ball part depends on motion of the ball, rotation or only translation.

In your model, the dirction of translation has a vector, with a  value of on Y- will seperate the ball with the platform at some area.

The contact type to be used really depends on the model, frictionless, frictional or no slide.  This needs more infomation about the model.

-Shoubing

Message 6 of 11
eugene.kluev

I added prescribed displacement because I don't know how to simulate horizontal motion of the ball, and I used different types of loads. The direction of translaion has a vector, because I need to match this ball to the hole in the platform. And let's take frictionless type of contact.

It's very important for me because I want to solve such problems but not only falling items to the impact plane
Message 7 of 11
AstroJohnPE

Hi Eugene,

I do not have the software with me at he moment, so I could not look at your model. But one type of load you can apply is an initial velocity. That might be applicable for a ball that is presumably rolling at time 0.

Message 8 of 11
eugene.kluev
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi John.

I've tried to use it but it's the same problem.
Message 9 of 11
zhuangs

An "initial velocity" cannot work for that model, based on the surface shape, and the ball will run to different direction :).

Since the displacement of the ball to the hole has both component along X- and Z- direction, using one "Part Prescribed displacement" with a vector direction must influence on Y- direction. In this case, we can define two "Part Prescribed displacement" groups, one is along X-, and one is along Z-.  You need to determine their maginitudes.  Along Y- direcion, the model has gravity, which will keep the ball contact with the platfrom, and then fall into the hole.

-Shoubing

Message 10 of 11
eugene.kluev

And what type of the contact should be? General surface contact between two parts or just surface contact?
Message 11 of 11
zhuangs

They are the same, but different definition, one is the trees in FEA Editor, the other is using General Surface-to-Surface contact dialog.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report