Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Vertices in Algor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
B_A_T
591 Views, 3 Replies

Merging Vertices in Algor

Hi,

I am new at Algor and I have a bunch of beams that do not have coicident vertices, and they were acting unconnected to each other when I performed the analysis, they are not very far from each other but enough to not be coicident. Is there an easy way to turn two vertices to one? besides doing it one by one.. I had success moving one vertice to the other and then they communicate but I have tons of them to equivelance and was hoping there was a faster way

Thank you,

Brad

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: B_A_T

Hi Brad,

Try "Draw > Modify > Set Search Tolerance" followed by "Draw > Modify > Global Snap".

Note that if the lines are on different part numbers, the FEA Editor will always show one vertex for each part. When the simulation is performed, the vertices are merged -- based on the type of contact specifies (near the bottom of the browser) -- into one node. In the case of linear stress, the only contact types that are applicable for beam elements are bonded and free. Seems like you have found a manual way to accomplish both of those Smiley Wink

Out of curiousity, how did you end up with so many disconnects? If this was an imported drawing, such as a DXF file, many of the commands under "Draw > Modify" drop-down panel will be useful for cleaning up the drawing for FEA.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
B_A_T
in reply to: John_Holtz

Yeah i was able to fix it by changing the way I created the lines, though it would be nice if there was a merge feature for nodes or vertices within a range.

I could not find any Draw menu in the program so not sure how to use that to correct the issue? Are you talking about using the draw feature in inventor or autocad? I created the lines in Algor.

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: B_A_T

Hi Brad,

Since you indicated that you were new to the software, I assumed you were using the latest version (2012) which has a ribbon interface and the "Draw > Modify > ..." command path. With older versions of the software that use the "classic" pull-down menu, a search in the Help ("Help > Search") for "global snap" (with the quotation marks) indicates the command path is "Geometry > Utilities > Global Snap".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report