Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
scudelari
1029 Views, 2 Replies

Max Shear Stress

Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to display the maximum Shear stress value?

I can only display for my 3D model the shear stresses in the 3 Global Directions.

Sincerely,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
S.LI
in reply to: scudelari

I think you can NOT have Max shear stress displayed in result tab directly.

But there is a simple way to calculated:

Max Shear Stress = (Max principle stress - Min principle stress)/2

you can export the Max and min principle stress out to Excel, and then do the calculation.

Note:

Max shear stress direction for each node could be very different.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: scudelari

The "Results Contours > Stress > Tresca*2" is twice the maximum shear stress, so you can display a similar contour to what you are asking. The reason we do 2 times is because the allowable in shear is usually 0.5 times the yield, so it is easier to compare 2*maximum shear with the yield than it is to compare maximum shear with 0.5*yield.

If you do want the maximum shear, you can create a custom result and display it. No need to export results and use Excel. See Help > Autodesk Simulation > Results > Results Environment > Results Options Menu > Custom Results.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report