Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAKE-FEM bug?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ChaliBiky
592 Views, 3 Replies

MAKE-FEM bug?

simulation multiphisics2012

I'm checking a pressured membrane.

The attached figure B shows an analysis result of a pressured dome-shaped membrane, which

is derived from figure A using Make FEM command.

Looking B, you'll notice the orientation of some meshed segments are reversed: some

pressure arrows direct wrong.

Is this a bug of MAKE-FEM? How can I fix this problem by manual? how to reverse some arrows?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: ChaliBiky

Hi Chalibiky,

It is difficult to know where the problem lies without having the model. The items I suggest checking in model B are the surface number of the lines and the location of the element normal coordinate. These can be checked in the FEA Editor from the "View > Appearance > Color By > Surface" and the part's Element Definition, respectively.

The Make FEM command ("Results Options > Other > Tools > Make FEM") needs to make assumptions or use default values for some of the input, so I think you simply need to update that information to make the new model correct.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
ChaliBiky
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thank you for your reply.

By the way I modeled A with 4 points structured mesh,using divisions number=4 for both sides.

According to your suggestion, I selected Model B and changed surface number = 2 , but nothing has

changed.

Now I traced model B facets with 4 points structred mesh with divisions number=1 for both sides

one by one each clockwisely, making model C. This is very time consuming but no way due to your

bugs. Selecting model C all and add pressure and run to see the same wrong results.

could you explain this?

Regards,

ChaliBiky

Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: ChaliBiky

User error. Smiley Indifferent

Under the Element Definition, on the Orientation tab, you need to enter the Element Normal coordinate so that it is a point "underneath" the structure. For example, (0, 0, -500) mm.

To understand why the input was incorrect, click the Help button on the Element Definition dialog, then scroll down the page to the section "Control Orientation Membrane Elements > Element Axes". Essentially, each individual element is like a sheet of paper. You applied a pressure to the paper, but where did you tell the software which side of the paper you wanted the pressure? That is what the Element Normal coordinate is for.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report