Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
madg1
440 Views, 4 Replies

lumped masses

Hi

I am using  beam elements in one of my model.I am using setup--loads--weight to give the beam element its actual weight.

my question is, while defining  element definition and material, we do give c/s of the beam and density of the material.

so how does asim calculates the weight of the beam? Assigned weight or calculating the beam volume and multiplying with density or adding both?

your help is appreciated.

madg1
ASIMM 2012
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
S.LI
in reply to: madg1

I'm not very sure about this beam check, but my guess is setup-loads-weight is a kind of load, instead of changing mass/density.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 5
madg1

okay.

In my model I do have many beam elements with some elements having actual c/s properties. So ASIM can calculate weight from gravitational multiplier.

But for some other beam elements, I need to assign the weight manually.So I  use lumped masses.If asim also adds weight due to gravity, then it means adding up more weight to the beam elements right? or is there any other way around?

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 4 of 5
John_Holtz

The "weight" of a beam element equals "cross section area" x "length of element" x "mass density" x "Acceleration due to body force" x "X, Y, and Z multiplier" x "Gravity/Accel Load Case Multiplier". All of these values are entered by the user. The only one that you can make 0 without affecting the weight of the rest of the model is the mass density.

Note that the "Gravity/Accel Load Case Multiplier" is used if performing linear stress analysis. For MES and nonlinear analyses, the Load Curve is used in place of the "Gravity/Accel Load Case Multiplier".

Adding "Setup > Loads > Weight" (formerly known as lumped mass) to a model is adding additional weight. It is similar to adding a force or a distributed load.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 5
madg1
in reply to: John_Holtz

then john do lumped masses addup in overall weight calculation.

I did find this in the ASIM 2013 wiki

Lumped masses and lumped mass moments of inertia may or may not be included in the weight and center of gravity calculation depending on the analysis type. Also, the results with masses of different values in the X, Y, and Z directions may be based on the X mass only. Refer to the weight and center of gravity summary file (.WCG) to see how it is treated for each situation.

madg1
ASIMM 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report