Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSS - Modelling cable in a channel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sapayne
407 Views, 4 Replies

LSS - Modelling cable in a channel

I'm preparing an LSS that involves brake cables under tension. The metal cable itself holds tension, but the housing does not. The cable housing is acted on by outside forces (radial direction). I'm wondering how best to model the cables. Spring elements? Gap elements?

They need to have a prescribed stifness and support radial loads along the length of the cable. I thought about setting up a number of lines down the axis and defining them as gaps or springs, but wasn't sure how this would take radial loads or maintain the nodes at the centre of the housing channel.

Thanks,
Shannon

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: sapayne

Hi Shannon,

It might be helpful if you can attach a sketch of your model so that we understand the location of the cables relative to everything else.

Keep in mind that LSS (linear static stress) requires the model to be statically stable. So in most cases (if not all situations), you can use only have one truss/gap element to model the cable. You cannot break the cable into multiple elements to represent or calculate the catenary shape. You would need to use MES (Mechanical Event Simulation) to calculate that type of system.

Message 3 of 5
sapayne
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

I've attached a image illustrating my prelimiary model setup. In this case I've modelled the cable as a solid body. The ends of the solid body cables are fixed and at the other end there are surface forces putting those cables in tension and two others creating torsion.

I would like to replace the solid cables with something less compuationally expensive.

Thanks,
Shannon.

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: sapayne

Beam elements are the only type of "line" element that will transmit a torque, so you essentially need to make the cable from beam elements.

Message 5 of 5
sapayne
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thank you John, I appreciate the help.

To use beam elements I would suppress the solid and connect two nodes, on at either end of th cable, with a line? Or would it be more appropriate to make a large number of beam elements in the channel so that they could bow as a cable might?

In using this method, how to you ensure the beam stays in the center of the channel? Is that taken care of by setting the approptriate diameter in the element definition? I need to ensure that contact throughout the channel is modelled.

Thanks again,
Shannon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report