Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lift/Drag Forces

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sam_melvin
909 Views, 4 Replies

Lift/Drag Forces

Im currently doing some analysis on aerofoils and trying to vary angle of attack etc and calculate lift and drag coefficients. I've set up a 2D planar unsteady fluid flow analysis in Simulation Multiphysics 2012, and I dont know how to convert the reaction forces into one value (or two in y and z components) on the aerofoil, is there any way of doing this?

Below is a picture of the kind of results I'm getting.

Also, for the legend, what is the reaction force measured in? eg per unit width, it seems wierd to have a reaction force in N for flow that is in an infinitely thin plane.

Thanks

25015_200mm_10ms_5aoa.jpg 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joey.X
in reply to: sam_melvin

Reaction force is the integration from surface pressure and shear stress, where shear stress is from surface velocity gradient and assumed viscous fluid. 

For 2D planar fluid flow analysis, the reaction force is calculated according the unit length thickness (i.e. =1 with your current length unit). Note that reaction force calculation is from postprocessor; please distinguish the basic 2D planar assumption which assumes infinite thickness. 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 5
sam_melvin
in reply to: Joey.X

Is there any way to get it to integrate the reaction forces over the surface? Just so I can calculate Lift and Drag forces. Cheers

Message 4 of 5
sam_melvin
in reply to: sam_melvin

To calculate lift/drag forces select all nodes that are on the surface you are interested in, in the results window (it doesn't matter if you select nodes that are in the flow, as long as they're not on another surface). Set the display type to reaction forces > vector plot (or z / y magnitude if you are only interested in one direction). Select Results Inquire > Current Results, which will open a pop up window with a list of the nodes selected and the forces on them. Select Sum from the drop down menu labelled 'Summary', which will then display the force on the selected surface in x, y and z components.

Message 5 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: Joey.X

One technicality to Joey's reply.

The reaction force is for a model depth of 1 length in the model units. It is not for a model depth of 1 length in the current display units. For example, imagine the model was created in units of pounds (lbf) and inches (in), and the reaction force is 1 lbf. That really means 1 lbf per inch of depth. However, when the display units are changed to metric MKS, the reaction force is 4.448 N ( = 1 lbf) which indicates 4.448 N per inch of depth, not 4.448 N per m of depth!

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report