Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for a long soft lock up period after surface meshing?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
FiniteMatt
345 Views, 2 Replies

Is it normal for a long soft lock up period after surface meshing?

I've used Simulation on very small (<20 parts) assemblies in the past, and I don't remember this happening. I'm working on a 250 part assembly now, and every time I surface mesh, it locks up for 15-30 minutes after I click the "Done" button. During this time AlgFrame doesn't turn red in the task manager/resource monitor, so its not completely locked up, and I see about 20 instances of Alg_Elem.exe writing to the disk in the resource monitor. This gets extremely frustrating when parts fail to mesh, and it takes 30 minutes just to adjust it and try again. The solid meshing process doesn't seem to have this problem, and the actual anaysis only takes about 10 minutes. Seems odd that the surface meshing takes 4x as long as the actual solution.

Inventor 2013 SP 1.1

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DaveHarhay
in reply to: FiniteMatt

This is normal on the models that I have run.

David Harhay | Product Engineer

Sypris Technologies: Tube Turns Products
2612 Howard Street
Louisville, KY, 40211
502 774 6279 phone | 502 774 6300 fax
david,harhay@sypris.com | www.tubeturns.com
Message 3 of 3
FiniteMatt
in reply to: FiniteMatt

Well then it is an extremely annoying part of Simulation. It doesn't even use anywhere near the full bandwidth of my SSD when its writing things to disk after surface mesh. Post surface mesh data speeds max out at maybe ~5MBps. Post solid mesh write speeds top out at ~250MBps.

Inventor 2013 SP 1.1

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report