Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor import failure

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Spinner99
566 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor import failure

I have this part in Inventor and it looks fine, however when I open it in Algor it looks like this.

Why is it doing this and what can I do to fix this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Spinner99
in reply to: Spinner99

I created a simple loft in Inventor to see if I could import it OK. The result was this, even when I selected the "knit surface" command.

Message 3 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Spinner99

Hi Jason,

In your first post, you only attached the Inventor image. I did not see the Algor image. But in your second post, I can see that too few tesselation surfaces are used to portray the geometry. You can use the "View > Options > CAD Rendering" command to improve the appearance.

We render the CAD surfaces by essentially creating a "mesh", but not an FEA mesh. It is a bunch of shapes (triangles?) on the surface that approximate the mathematical geometry. One way to think of the tesselation size is to imagine a hole. If shown with only 4 sides, it does not look round. As more and more tesselation surfaces are added, it begins to look like a circle. (Is that number 12? 20? 100?)

In some cases, the appearance does not matter; the important question is whether it meshes or not. I have seen situations in which the surface looks kinked or has extra things sticking out, but the model meshes okay. In the case of you second post, the image appears to be complete from what I can see.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report