Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import fails to map solid surfaces correctly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Inv_kaos
773 Views, 4 Replies

Import fails to map solid surfaces correctly

I am trying to run a simulation on a pipe, the geometry couldn't be much simpler, however each time I bring it in the outside surface swaps with the inside surface over the length of the pipe. Hence I have a surface model, not a solid, that is completely useless.

This happened using direct link in Inventor, also when I opened it through Algor and when using IGES. Is this a known problem in Algor? Is there some way to correct it in Simulation Express? Am I doing something wrong?

I am using this on some simple problems in an attempt to evaluate the possible move from SolidWorks Simulation Premium but so far am extremely underwhelmed with the usability.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Hi Inv_kaos,

I am trying to visualize your description, but I do not fully understand what the problem is. Does the pipe have some bends and the outside surface is passing through the inner surface at the bend? Is the problem occurring after creating the mesh, or does it appear in the surfaces after the model is imported into Algor Simulation?

Whatever the problem is, please attach the original Inventor file to the forum so that we can investigate the issue.

In the meantime, here are a number of things that you can try.

• Try a smaller mesh size ("Mesh > Model Mesh Settings"). If the mesh is too coarse, then I can envision how the outside mesh might pass through the inside mesh.
  • If the CAD surfaces look warped when the model is first seen in the canvas, try "View > Options > CAD Rendering". Change the rendering mesh size to a smaller value which may correct the surfaces.
  • Uncheck the option "Mesh > Use VCAD".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 5
Inv_kaos
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

It has almost been a year and the problem persists! Recently I have been opening all my Inventor files in Fusion first and then launching Simulation because of the VERY poor import of surfaces directly between Autodesk products.

But today I am still getting the same import problems even from Fusion. This problem occurs directly from the import, before meshing. It is not a view problem because the failed surfaces either don't mesh or mesh in the incorrect location. This renders the model useless for the purpose of analysis. I have attached a picture of the inventor import and the fusion import, and included the archive of the fusion import (edit: archive too large to post 5.6MB).

I am a long time Inventor user so I know there is no problem with the original model. We have recently bought Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics after using the mechanical trial. Coming from Solidworks Simulation I never, not once, ran into these types of problems. Surely there is a simple solution, the translators between two Autodesk products couldn't really be this bad could they?

Cheers,

Stew

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 4 of 5
Inv_kaos

Update:

If I export to DWG (not a saved dwg associated with fusion) it opens correctly in Simulation and is about 2MB smaller in size. This size reduction makes sense but the surface mapping does not..

Hopefully it will help track down the cause of the problem since I don't want to have to export everything to dwg. Additionally inventor parameters are not accessible with this work flow.

I can provide the source files if you need them.

Stew, AICP
Message 5 of 5
Inv_kaos

Turns out the pipe was still twisted on the inside and woudn't mesh, even though it looked ok on the outside. Any other suggestions I could try?

Since there has been no response I assume this is a known issue that currently has no solution?..

Probabaly caused because Inventor shares surfaces between solids?...

no?..

Stew, AICP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report