Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import DWG geometry for 2-D planar simulation

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pauinch85
1093 Views, 4 Replies

Import DWG geometry for 2-D planar simulation

Hi, I want to simulate the external air flow trough a several shapes (like airfoils). In my analisys, I consider 2-D planar type, and import DWG geometry for copy in plane 2 YZ. When open the DWG geometry, autodesk simulation create a" Part 1" and the geometry imported is considered like a 3-D objects, and cannot do a 2-D Mesh of this 3-D objects geometry.

I need help for import DWG geometry an do a simulate of external flow through shapes.

See attached file.

Thanks and sorry formy English.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KubliJ
in reply to: pauinch85

Hello,

Looking at the attached screen shot, you will see that the 2D sketch is in the XY plane within Simulation.  Sim needs the 2D sketch to be in the YZ plane to function.  To correct, it will be necessary to reimport the DWG file, but first you will need to know what plane the drawing was created in. 

In the Open dialog box change file type to AutoCAD DWG files, and then click on Options in the lower left hand corner.  Make sure that Drawing is 2-D drawn in is checked and that the correct plane the the drawing was created in is highlighted.  Then make sure the box Transform to YZ plane (for 2-D elements) is checked.  If the sketch is already drawn in YZ plane it is not necessary to have the latter option checked.

See my attachment for the workflow on importing a 2D sketch in the XY plane.

(If I've answered your question, please right-click on the post and mark it as solved for the benefit of other viewers)

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 3 of 5
pauinch85

Thanks!!

Sorry but now I have the next problem: when I have a sketch in plane YZ, and going to create 2-D meshing the sketch, appear the follow window message:  "The mesh could not be generated successfully. The wireframe does not enclose a single area. The problem areas are marked on the model"

I attach the pic with my 2-D sketch.

I hope your help!! 

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 5
madg1

upload the dwg file....I can crosscheck the geometry for you...

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 5 of 5
KubliJ

Hello,

It may be possible to correct the issue from within Simulation.  Try this, expand the construction objects/lines list in the design tree for the part (should be the icon below surfaces).  There should be lines listed, try cycling through them (clicking on each one) and look for any overlapping/duplicate lines.  If you find any, delete them, once that is done try remeshing.

Let me know if that works.

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report