Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve from a network drive using Simulation Mechanical 2015

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Andrew.Sartorelli
874 Views, 5 Replies

How to solve from a network drive using Simulation Mechanical 2015

Over the past several months several users have reported being unable to solve analyses that are located on network drives using Simulation Mechanical 2015 and the new simulation job manager. A temporary workaround has been developed to allow those users that prefer storing their information on a remote drive to successfully complete analyses. This workaround is described in a help article and is described below, please visit the help article to download the  "Network Solve.zip" referenced below.

1. Download the attached "Network Solve.zip"
  2. Extract the zip file to the installation directory, "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2015"
  3. Right-click on the Simulation Mechanical shortcut, either on the desktop or the start-menu and select edit properties
  4. Change the target of the shortcut "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation 2015\NetworkSolve.bat"
  5. Open Simulation Mechanical 2015 via the modified shortcut

Note: If using multiple shortcuts, those will also need to be modified as well.

Those users that have installed Simulation Mechanical on a drive other than C: or in a locaton other than default will need to modified the batch contained within the zip file.  

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Any word on when a real fix will be available?  The batch file fix only seems to work for users that have admin rights on their computer, which is not the way my company's IT policies are set up.  Although we do move larger analysis models to a local hard drive, most of our simulations are rather small, and have typically remained on the network drive along with the Inventor files to which they are associated.  Did it not occur to any of Autodesk's developers that some companies might store Simulation files on a network, and still want them to actually function? 

This is one of a host of problems that has many at my company questioning why we upgraded to the 2015 Autodesk releases, and in some cases starting to question whether we should revert back to 2013.  I'm starting to run low on arguments against the idea of downgrading.  It would be nice if I were able to tell my management when we can expect the return of the functionality we had in previous versions of the software.  Preferably, it would work without the use of any batch files, modified shortcuts, special user rights, bailing twine, or duct tape. 

Repeatedly explaining that yet another project is running late because of problems with our Autodesk software is getting old very fast.

Message 3 of 6

Will Simulation Mechanical 2015 R1 still require the Networksoive.bat fix?

Chris H.

Message 4 of 6

Hi Chris, Simulation Mechanical 2015 R1 still requires the use of the batch file in order to run off a network drive.

Message 5 of 6

This is described as a temporary fix but several months have passed.  I just purchased the "upgrade" but am extremely disappointed with this bug.  When will it be patched correctly?

Message 6 of 6

Hi Joel,

Autodesk's official policy is not to comment on the status of a change request after it has been submitted to development. This is policy is in place because priorities can change after a time estimate is provided, and that could result in mismatched expectations. Like everyone with a commercial Simulation Mechanical license you can sign up for the 2016 Beta to get a sneak peek at some of the new features and bug fixes coming in this year's release, please note the Beta is under NDA so no public discussions are allowed .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report