Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
lardj
1147 Views, 3 Replies

How to model welds

I would to model a series of fillet weld on two parts in my FEA model.  I am aware of the Welded connection option, but that doesn't represent the weld geometry at all and doesn't completely represent the load path.  Also I have a few scenarios where I need a skip weld.

Any recommendations on how to model a weld in Adesk Simulation?  I believe I've seen it in Abaqus where there is a surface run from the weld toe edge on one part to the weld toe edge on the other.  Can I model a surface in my CAD package and import that?  Or would I have to manually create that surface?  Please let me know how best to do that if it's a manual process.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RobertALemaster5017
in reply to: lardj

I have modeled fillet welds using triangular shaped cross sections in the cad program.  I mesh it with bricks and include mid-side nodes.  I generally put two to three elements through one leg of the weld (i.e. 5/16 fillet has an absolute mesh size of around 1/8 inch.

I typically see high stresses at the toe of the weld which is consistent with where fatigue cracks typically start.  Residual stresses can often be high in welded structures.  Unfortunately, the fatigue wizard doesn't allow the inclusion of a residual stress. Therefore,  I use the eFatigue (search on Google) strain-life calculator that allows a residual stress and stress-concentration factor at the toe of the weld to be included manually.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 4
lardj
in reply to: RobertALemaster5017

Robert,

I had found efatigue previously and was considering whether to join.  Does the efatigue site recommend Kf factors depending on loading and weld orientation, or does it just provide life calculators?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
RobertALemaster5017
in reply to: lardj

eFatigue provides a method for computing the fatigue stress concentration factor at the toe of a butt weld.  This is a function of the plate thickness and weld angle (a picture is included with the calculator).  They don't provide any others, but you can manually specifiy a concentration factor if you know it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report