Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find the drag on a 3d Body?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
timothyatwell
2300 Views, 23 Replies

How to find the drag on a 3d Body?

Hey,

I'm currently designing a  solar car for my project (3d model done in solidworks) and i'm trying to analyze it. I've only been recently introduced to Autodesk Simulation, and i was told it gives the drag area and what not when analyzing it. How do i go about analyzing my model in simulation express, and analyzing it?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
Joey.X
in reply to: timothyatwell

Consistent unit is the location to check.  

Also looking at the solution convergence, velocity and pressure patterns/range. 

Can't tell anything else at this point except checking at the model details. Probally you can post some pictures. 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 22 of 24
timothyatwell
in reply to: Joey.X

here are some pics...

Getting those out of wack values constantly...

what is the convergence thing you was telling me about?

Message 23 of 24
Joey.X
in reply to: timothyatwell

Thanks for posting the result screen pictures, the velocity and pressure pattern look good to me, but the magnitude appears big if the fluid media is air.  Here are more clues to check

(1) Fluid properties (density, viscosity etc.) 

(2) In acquiring total reaction force, make sure the selection for the nodes on the object surface only, no extra nodes involved.

(3) If this is unsteady  fluid flow analysis, change it to steady state, or have the final time long enough if keep doing unsteady analysis.

(4) Current mesh density appears coarse, use finer mesh and suggest using boundary layer mesh, this may increase your model size(DOFs), try these to have better accurate result if your computation resource allows. 

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 24 of 24
timothyatwell
in reply to: Joey.X

Well, i began to get a little better results after continuously trying, however MP began to crash my computer, and  now it no longer wnats to mesh or anything. I managed to get this picture before tho.

Thanks for all your help Joey.X

I shall continue to do iterations once i get MP back up and running properly. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report