Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphical problem in results environment?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
drpalo
913 Views, 18 Replies

Graphical problem in results environment?

Haven't been using Algor long. Hopefully this is an easy question. In the attached image, in the results environment, the model appears to be missing a lot of geometry. What would cause this? Other than being attacked by a school of piranha.

Thanks

Autodesk Product Design Suite 2016
Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
S.LI
in reply to: drpalo

What's the "view->display" here?

did you try all, such as shaded, mesh, features etc.?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 19
drpalo
in reply to: S.LI

This is shaded with features. Yes, it's the same with all other display types.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 4 of 19
S.LI

Is the wrong part beam/shell?

Could you try without 3-D visualization if yes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 19
drpalo
in reply to: S.LI

Brick elements. CAD geometry from STP file created in Inventor. All one solid piece.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 6 of 19
John_Holtz

My guess is that you remeshed the model after the first analysis and the Results environment is only showing the original elements. Use "Display Options > Show All" to show all of the elements.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 7 of 19
S.LI

Following John's hint here, I really saw some similar problem.

After some simulation, and mesh is changed (such as with/without mid-side nodes), the check-model will show bad elements/meshes.

Message 8 of 19
drpalo
in reply to: John_Holtz

"Show all" doesn't change anything. Is it a size issue? Too many elements? Attached is the mesh results. Also, I just noticed on the mesh results it says there are microholes. I did not have the "allow microholes" box checked. On a previous mesh attempt I did, but not on this one.

Thanks for the ideas/help.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 9 of 19
John_Holtz

Unless you are using a 386 computer with 1 MB of RAM Smiley Wink 26000 elements is not a problem.

My second guess is the element type that you have set is not proper for the type of mesh created. The solid mesh is a mix of all variety of brick elements (8-node brick, 6-node wedges, 5-node pyramids, 4-node tetrahedrons.) Therefore, the Element Type needs to be brick. By any chance, is the element type set to Tetrahedron?

If this is not the solution, the create an archive ("File > Archive > Create") of the model only, and see if the archive file (.ACH) is small enough to be posted to the forum.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 10 of 19
drpalo

The element type is set to brick. I'll see if I can post the archive.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

I've had this happen tons of times. Usually just hiding and then showing the parts again helps. At least for me.

Message 12 of 19
drpalo
in reply to: Anonymous

John,

My archive file is over 43 MB. It's over 38 MB zipped. A little overweight from what I've read. Any other options?

Bjorn,

Tried hiding/showing a few times & nothing. Not even an improvement. Looks exactly the same.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

You can use sendspace.com to upload files up to 300mb for free. 🙂

Message 14 of 19
drpalo

Learn something new every day. Thanks Bjorn.

John,

Where/who do I send this to?

Thanks

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 15 of 19
John_Holtz

Interesting problem. You can either post the link to sendspace.com in a post on this forum (which obviously would give access to your model to everyone) or to me (John.Holtz@autodesk.com).

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 19
drpalo
in reply to: John_Holtz

John,

I sent the archive file your way via Sendspace. If you don't get it, let me know. I'll keep looking into this issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 17 of 19
John_Holtz

Hi,

I think the problem is with the meshing, not the graphics in the Results environment. If your CAD application can calculate the volume, compare it with Algor's calculation (2526635 cubic untis). Is the real volume much larger?

Such thin geometry is difficult to mesh with solid (brick) elements. Personally, I would suggest modelling the bridge-like structure (a boom of a crane?) using beam elements. Since a beam model looks like a stick figure, this would need to be drawn from scratch. (Or if your CAD application can create a DXF file of the beam centerlines, that could be imported into Algor.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 19
drpalo

Actual volume in the Inventor model is 2,788,885 cu in. Sounds like there's no way to work with the geometry as is? Problem is, a lot of the members on this piece of equipment aren't uniform through whole length. It may be an I-beam but it's 24" tall on one end, then it tapers down to 18" tall on the other end. If I have a combination of CAD geometry & beam elements, won't the problem still exist since the members I can't make beams will still be "thin" geometry?

Thanks

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation
Message 19 of 19
drpalo

Removed half of the components from the model. Seems to be working now. I'll try to replace all those components with beam elements.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Dell Precision T5610
HP Z800 Workstation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report