Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generated Bolt Connection

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
john_erichsen
328 Views, 1 Reply

Generated Bolt Connection

I am completing a stress analysis of a steel assembly with bolted connections.   I have set the connection surfaces as contact and I used the "bolt wizard" to create the bolted connection.    It is a linear analysis.   Once completed, I request the maximum axial load by part.   The results are provided below.    If I am interpreting the results correctly, the negative value (Minimum) is tension and the maxmimum is compression.   If this is truly a pretensioned bolted connection, the beam element will not experience compression.    Am I looking a the results correctly?

Result Type:        Axial Force Smoothing Function: None

Units:              lbf

Load Case:          1/1     Part  Minimum   Maximum   171   -5630.36  21457.6   172   -9131.06  15172.3  

173   -6742.85  44606.2  

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: john_erichsen

Hi John,

I think you meant to type that negative values are compression and positive values are tension. Otherwise, I suggest that you isolate one of the parts (such as part 171) and check which elements are in tension and which are in compression. The "head" and "nut" elements are on the same part number as the "shank", if I remember correctly. So it is possible that the head or nut elements are the compression and the shank is the tension.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report