Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
Tom_217
499 Views, 5 Replies

Gap in contact

I'm attempting to model a 3D structure with gap between 2 parts.

The model is already done with surface to surface contact between the adjacent parts. In this case there is no gap because the 2 meshs match.

I would to allow a penetration of the 2 parts of 0.2mm before the contact force starts to increase. Is it possible ?

The alternative is to redo a mesh with an effective gap.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
zhuangs
in reply to: Tom_217

Are you using MES?

-Shoubing

Message 3 of 6
Tom_217
in reply to: zhuangs

Yes I'm using MES, but with the contact surface/surface without gap, it's work also in static with non linear material model.

Thomas

Message 4 of 6
zhuangs
in reply to: Tom_217

It cannot to let a penetration before the contact force starts to increase.

-Shoubing

Message 5 of 6
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: zhuangs

Hi Tomas,

I assume that your CAD model includes the 2 mm gap. In this case, these steps should keep that gap between the parts, and the surface to surface contact in MES will not create contact until the two parts move 2 mm toward each other:

1. define the surface contact before creating the mesh.
  2. Under the "3D Mesh Settings > Options", there is an option like "do not match the mesh when not necessary". In other words, surface to surface contact does not require the mesh to match, so the mesher should not try to match them.
  3. Set the mesh matching method to "Absolute length dimension".
  4. Set the mesh matching tolerance to something smaller than 2 mm. I hope all of the parts that do need to be bonded together are closer together than the tolerance you enter!

Message 6 of 6
Tom_217
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

In fact, I'm using a hand mesh model.

A 2d mesh of the longitudinal section is made and a "copy and rotate" operation is used to create the 3D model.

The mesh completely match between all surfaces in contact.

Thanks for your advice.

Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report