Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed to mesh void id 1

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rrbartl2
921 Views, 5 Replies

failed to mesh void id 1

I'm trying to get a mesh together for a relatively complex part. I am able to achieve a surface mesh in a matter of seconds, however when I move to get the solid mesh together, it encounters this error:

"failed to mesh void id 1"

and the program states that it will continue to mesh using "the old method." This would be fine if it would achieve a mesh, and maybe it would, but after 26+ hours of letting it run I cut it off because I don't feel that it should need that amount of time to get it together. I'm running Autodesk Algor 2011 Professional without service pack (can't get sp1 to install on my windows 7 PC), and am trying to mesh the solid using bricks and tets in the Steady State Heat Transfer module.

My question is surrounding this error, is this something internal that I might be able to avoid in the mesh parameters? I'm hoping that it is something simple like this or potentially a CAD issue rather than I'll just have to be patient and hang on for several days for this to mesh. I've had success previously for items I feel have similar complexity meshing in a fraction of the time, so I'm hopeful I can find a solution on this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
zhanghanz
in reply to: rrbartl2

That error is internal. If the default mesh fails to fill the void, the backup mesher will take over and sometimes succeeds. But if it takes too long to get the job done, then I would suggest you to tweak the mesh setting a little bit (such as using a different mesh size etc), and try again.

Message 3 of 6
cody.macneil
in reply to: zhanghanz

I am having a similar problem.

I am dealing with a large single part (70" long, 30" diameter). I am checking stress concentrations in certain areas and seeing how deep into my part they go. I am trying to generate a mesh near the surface that is on the order of a millimeter (0.04in). If I create a refinement any smaller than 0.3in I have a similar failure and then solid meshing takes an indefinite amount of time. Is there a typical work around for these types of problems? Allowing microholes seems to not help either.

Thanks,

Cody

Message 4 of 6
zhanghanz
in reply to: cody.macneil

You can also try all-tet meshing.

Message 5 of 6
rrbartl2

Good to see it isn't just me having this issue...thought I was on an island. I tried meshing with about every combination I could and didn't make a difference. Ultimately I had to simplify the geometry in CAD and live with a less refined mesh.

Message 6 of 6
cody.macneil

The all-tet mesh with microholes has helped. I've gone from at least 0.3" to 0.1". I was greedy and am now attempting a very fine 0.01" mesh over night. If all goes well I should be done.

Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report