Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
Dsyot
894 Views, 5 Replies

Extrude 2D Mesh

I know this is an incredibly simply question, but, how do you extrude a 2D mesh into a 3D mesh?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
John_Holtz
in reply to: Dsyot

Here's how to extrude any type of mesh (that is, lines) in release 2012, using the ribbon commands.

1. Select the lines to be extruded. (Selection > Select > Lines)
  2. Start the Copy command. (Draw > Pattern > Move or Copy)
  3. Indicate how many copies to make.
  4. Check the box for "Join".
  5. Specify the distance and direction.
  6. Click OK.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 6
Dsyot
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks, now I have what appears to be a solid mesh but it is actually just a collection of lines.  I select the part, right click, and select "create solid mesh", however, it instructs me that there is a water tight problem?   What is proper step to get the final 3D extruded mesh?

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
S.LI

I have to say it's a very hard work to build solid elements from lines. Sometimes, there is even no unique solution.

If your 2D model is not complicated, the way John mentioned should work.

Please share your 2D model if possible.

The best and safe way is to build 3D model in CAD package, and mesh it into brick or tet in Simulation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 5 of 6
zhanghanz

The procedure described by John is sufficient enough for creating solid. If you define your element type as brick and check model or perform analysis, the 3d elements will be created for you using the lines. You can confirm this in superview by selecting elements.

If you right click a part and select "Create solid mesh", lines will be considered as surface mesh lines. In this case, it won't work since those lines are suppose to be forming the actual elements, not the boundary of the volume.

Message 6 of 6
John_Holtz

If you selected all of the lines in the 2D mesh and extruded them (Copy & Join), then you have a solid mesh. Just change the element type to Brick (or 3D depending on the analysis type). The command "Create Solid Mesh" is only used when you have a mesh on the entire outside of the part but no mesh inside the part.

Note that a mesh is just a collection of lines, so it sounds like you have successfully created a solid mesh.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report